The use of Toga has its deep Western roots and has been taken for granted all these years despite its advantages:
- It is not Filipino
- It does not inspire loyalty to our Nation but it serves as a reminder of a colonial past.
- It is impractical and uncomfortable
- It promotes uniformity and it does not encourage flourish of cultural diversity.
- Renting of Toga is an additional Expense.
It is proposed that Sablay, instead of Toga:
- Instill patriotism and nationalism among young learners;
- Promote core values of Makabansa and Makakalikasan;
- promotes local culture;
- nurture ethnic roots and perpetuate the production of local textiles of indigenous people;
- boost rural development;
- provide jobs and empower women and men weavers;
- revive and sustain local and traditional weaving enterprises
Here’s the AIDE Memoire for download.